Our 2020 Mr. Spartan, Santino Angelilli

Elizabeth Amstutz, Editor In Chief

Santino Angelilli is a junior at Boardman Highschool, and was just crowned our new Mr. Spartan. Aside from this new title, he is a member of the Drama Guild and Chorale, while also throwing shotput and discus in outdoor and indoor track. The Mr. Spartan competition was held on February 12 where Angelili triumphed, singing “Hey There Delilah” by the Plain White T’s for the talent portion. “Winning Mr. Spartan feels amazing. I feel so honored to receive this title, and I feel even more honored to have done it with the awesome group of young men that I competed with,” says Angelilli “thank you to everyone who came and supported and that you to everyone who helped run the sow. With the title of Mr. Spartan, I will be even more involved in the school activities, more involved with the students in the school, and be a role model for those students.” Santino made his theatrical debut this past fall in Elf The Musical, playing the role of the manager. Joining the Drama Guild was a difficult transition for him, after departing from the football team. “My decision to quit football was not an easy one. At the end of the day, I lost my passion for the sport, and that’s when I decided to test my chances in drama. That decision is the best decision I’ve ever made. That one choice taught me something very important, and that is to do what you love and pursue it. Don’t settle for something you don’t love just because everyone is doing it.” This February Santino also played Alf in Peter and the Starcatcher, our spring straight play. In addition to Drama, this is his first year as a member of Chorale. Chorale is the elite show choir group at Boardman. Santino has been throwing shot put and discus for track and field throughout highschool. His current personal record in shot put is around 40 feet and 110 feet for discus. “There’s been a good amount of obstacles this season, but also plenty of high points both with me and the team. Everyone works really hard. Coach Pallini is the best coach and athlete I could ask for.” You can catch Santino Angelilli on the stage or in the shot put ring, where he serves as a model Boardman High student.