Peter And The Starcatcher

Bella Lochrane, Staff Writer

“Things are only worth what you’re willing to give up for them.” Peter and the Starcatcher, a play based on the prequel to Peter Pan, was performed by the Drama Guild at Boardman High School from February 6th to February 9th.

Peter and the Starcatcher is about the backstory of Peter Pan, played by Vinh Nguyen, and his arch-nemesis, Captain Hook, played by Daniel Gordiejew. In the play, the viewer follows an orphaned child called Boy, similarly named to a character in Netflix’s Birdbox, who was never given a name in the absence of his parents. He later meets Molly, played by Emily Choleva, who is the daughter of a famous Starcatcher, “Lord Astor,” she is on a mission to save the world and prevent a treasure chest of magical “starstuff” from getting into the hands of the malicious Black Stache. While the pair travels upon the Neverland ship headed for a faraway land, Molly and Boy learn about friendship and love and forge an unbreakable bond.

Some of the cast had some things to say about their experience while practicing for the play. Daniel Gordiejew who played Black Stache exclaimed, “This experience has been the most fun in the world… I am so grateful for the opportunity and I soak up every single second while I am playing Stache.”  Vinh Nguyen said, “I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to be apart of such a unique show, and it’s been great getting to know everyone.” 

Apart from the show itself, many people in the cast thought the people in the play was what made it a blast to be a part of, Emily Choleva exclaimed, “Working on this show has been such a blast, especially alongside some incredible performers. Our school is so fortunate to have such talented kids that make portraying a scene so effortless.” Daniel Chiaberta who played Smee also had the same thoughts, “This show has been an amazing experience! It is so much fun to play Smee! It has been an amazing cast and crew.”