Boardman Band Takes On Orlando

Amilia Johnson, Staff Writer

On Friday, December 27, 160 kids from our very own Boardman Spartan marching band left for their fourth annual Disney trip. The band has been taking this trip every four years since the 70’s when Mr. Ruggieri was a sophomore, although this was his fifth trip as director. The band arrived on Saturday, and students were free to roam around the parks to their liking. According to Mr. Ruggieri, “Most kids went to Epcot Center (some went to Animal Kingdom) all day Sunday. The Jazz Ensemble 1 members left Epcot briefly to perform for a huge crowd at Disney Springs.” Then on Monday, they marched in the parade alongside other bands from California and Iowa. “It’s always great to perform for parents and a local crowd, but there is something truly magical about getting cheers and applause from that many people who don’t know them and don’t have any obligation to do anything except watch them pass by,” says Ruggeri. Since they were in Disney, it only makes sense to play songs from the brand. Their lineup included “The Avengers,” “Mickey Mouse March,” “It’s a Small World,” “I Just Can’t Wait to be King” and “Sucker,” since the Jonas Brother’s  were in Disney’s 2008 movie “Camp Rock.” After performing, the band was free to continue to roam the parks and the band returned home on Thursday, January 2.