Counting Down to Another Basketball Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Morgan Spearman, Staff Writer

Boardman High School boys basketball team is getting ready to jump into action. The boys first game is at Glenoak on Tuesday December 3. The team is ready to start the season and come up on top. The team has been preparing for the season in the summer, leading up to tryouts. I talked to senior, Derrick Anderson, he has been playing basketball since he was in primary school. He plans to pursue basketball after high school. 

His goals for the season for the team is, “to get better as a team, work hard and everything will fall into place.” 

The team is a mix of a young line up and people who have played with each other years prior. The team has already started practices everyday preparing for the season, they also are starting to attend scrimmages. One of the younger players, sophomore, DJ Evans who has been playing basketball as long as he can remember is ready for the season to jump to action. 

Evans is looking forward to the upcoming season, “We need to play against better teams at a higher level, who are advanced with higher skills.”

The team consists of seniors: Derrick Anderson, Andrew Clark, Charlie Davis, Tommy Fryda, Jimmy Goske, Daeone Martin, Connor Miller, Zach Ryan and Joey Zahran. Juniors: Ethan Anderson, Spencer Smith, Marco Stilliana and Ty Ventresco. Sophomore:  Ben Alvarico, Seth Cervello, Trey DePietro, DJ Evans, Ryder Kreps, Anthony Hightower, Carter Mraz, Luke Ryan Terence Thomas, Cam Thompson and Danny Zahran. This is the lineup for the Junior Varsity and Varsity 2019-2020 season. The boys are ready for the season to start to show everyone what have been working on since the summer. Both Evans and Anderson would like to leave the underclassmen a message. 

Anderson wants to tell the underclassmen, “ to work hard everyday and never something because you can do whatever you put your mind to.”

Evans message to underclassmen is, “keep your head up through all the bad night, practices, games because God is going to work in your favor.”

Come cheer on the BHS boys basketball team this season, the schedule is down below.  

The boys schedule for the season is: 

Tuesday 12/3 vs. Glenoak (at Glenoak)

Friday 12/6 vs. Farrell (PA)

Tuesday 12/10 vs. Lakeview

Saturday 12/14 vs. Hickory (United Way Showcase at Poland)

Tuesday 12/17 vs. Lake

Friday 12/20 vs. Mooney (at Mooney)

Saturday 12/28 vs. Poland

Thursday 1/02 vs. Hudson

Friday 1/10 vs. Howland (at Howland)

Tuesday 1/14 vs. Fitch (at Fitch)

Friday 1/17 vs. Canfield

Sunday 1/19 vs.Green (at North Canton Hoover)

Tuesday 1/21 vs.Harding 

Friday 1/24 vs. Youngstown East

Tuesday 1/28 vs. Howland 

Friday 1/31 vs. Tallmadge (at Tallmadge)

Tuesday 2/4 vs. Canfield (at Canfield)  

Friday 2/7 vs. Harding (at Harding)

Tuesday 2/11 vs. Louisville

Friday 2/14 vs. Chaney

Tuesday 2/18 vs. Ursuline (at Ursuline)

Friday 2/21 vs. Fitch