The Evolution Of Dance Proposals

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Evolution Of Dance Proposals

Elizabeth Amstutz, Staff writer

With Boardman’s homecoming approaching this weekend, the various months have filled many social media feeds with pictures of posters and gestures. Although, how long has this been a normal tradition for attending a dance? This poses a debatable question on whether or not asking in a glorified manner is necessary. Does social media play a role in the evolution of asking another student to a dance? The first public mention of an exaggerated ask was documented in a 2001 newspaper article, after students asked each other to prom on the schools loudspeaker. This could be seen as the root of what has stemmed down to our current poster revelation. In 2006, before Facebook was even open to high school students, a columnist of the Atlanta Journal Constitution writes “Has the annual spring ritual of a formal school dance gotten out of hand?” This article was one of the first recorded records of backlash towards the students. The era of viral videos are estimated to be around 2007-2011 when videos shared to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Youtube began gaining numbers for their cuteness factor. In 2011, the social media agency Sq1 reports that 20,000 prom proposal videos were uploaded in a one month period.  

In 2012, the trend of asking celebrities to dances via social media became a recurring trend. Celebrities such as Kylie Jenner, Katy Perry, Vanessa Hudgens and Justin Bieber have all been reported to have actually attended an event. This leads to the evolution of the current posters with catchy sayings and gifts. Some people like to argue that this is over the top and a strenuous act for the only outcome to be a dance. Is buying gifts and poster boards necessary when accounting in the money that goes into tickets, clothing, flowers, etc? Is it considered wrong to ask someone with simply your words? Putting aside all the negative questions, it all boils down to personal preference. Is there really anything wrong with receiving the joy these gestures bring people? No matter what happens along the road getting there, the dances provided give Boardman High students opportunities to view the school in a new, non informational light.