BHS Students Compete at Annual YSU English Festival

Kailee James, Co-editor

Recently, Youngstown State University held their annual English Festival. This year nearly 3,000 high school students from the area attended. The festival takes place during spring time, but at the beginning of the school year approximately 200 schools receive invitations to the function. Students who choose to participate have to read seven novels throughout the school year. Sophomore, Grace Wieser, wrote in writing games and creative writing. She said, “I enjoy meeting new people because it’s interesting to see how other schools districts are.” Teachers help students prepare for the competition by monitoring their progress throughout the school year.  Students can write an essay for the Candace Gay Memorial Essay contest, or show original work for the Festival Art Contest. Andy Beichner, a senior who participated said, “I enjoyed meeting and interacting with other student writers and discussing some of my favorite novels.” He also won second place in journalism writing. The Festival takes three days to complete. Attendees were also able to hear an author speak, collaborate on activities, and attend performances. Guest speakers this year included authors, Neal Shusterman and Steve Sheinkin.