BHS Show Choirs are in a New York State of Mind

Elizabeth Amstutz, Editor In Chief

Boardman High School’s two show choirs, the Boardman Singers and Chorale, are traveling to New York City for their annual trip. Our schools choral director, Mrs. Smrek, begins planning the fun experiences for the trip in the summer. The students show off their talents through classical and contemporary pieces, kicking off their trip with a performance in a New York City Cathedral. Other events planned include a backstage tour of Radio City Music Hall, as well as singing on the “Top of the Rock.” They will attend two Broadway shows, Be More Chill and Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. This includes participation in a Broadway Classroom Workshop. Other attractions attended by the students include the 9-11 Museum and Memorial, and a ride on Idora Park’s Carousel, which has been moved to the Brooklyn Bridge and named “Jane’s Carousel.”

The annual trip gives choral students alternate performance experiences, especially in a place that is as musically charged as the City of Dreams.

“Our show choirs get a chance to experience the reality of performance in one of the greatest cities in the world,” says Smrek, “I believe it is very important for students to be well educated in the classroom, but they also need to have real world, hands on experiences that support what is taught in the classroom that sometimes help them make choices for their future.”

The choral students will leave the Wednesday, April 24th staying through Saturday. Show choir members will get to take their bite out of the “Big Apple” at the conclusion of spring break.