Stopping the Divide of School and LGBTQ Community

Back to Article
Back to Article

Morgan Spearman, Editor

The Day of Silence is on April 12, 2019, this is a student held event that students in schools and organizations take a day of silence to enforce awareness for the LGBTQ community in schools.

In 1996, this whole event started. The students at the University of Virginia created the first Day of Silence for an non-violent assignmen

t. The turnout was unexpected for the first time, with over 150 students in attendance. In 1997, the students in charge of this organization took the Day of Silence nationally. Nearly 100 colleges took part in this event. In 2001, the GLSEN was the first organization to sponsor the Day of Silence, they have a whole website highlighting this day and why it is important. Including merchandise like buttons, shirts and more.   

The Day of Silence is an important event. Many LGBTQ students feel unsafe everyday coming to school, they feel that they can not be themselves. They are verbally, physically and emotionally harassed when ever they go to school. This discomfort of attending school is causing students to skip school to stay away from the constant harassment.

You can host a Day of Silence at your school or in an organization you are involved in. Anyone can organize this day, you must meet with administration and have a plan in place, and state why your organization should take part in this day.

The success rate of the Day of Silence went so well, it has reached 50 states and the District of Columbia. From 150 students in the University of Virginia to a nationwide event that takes place yearly. This event has really grown from its start.  Many different social media figures support this organization during the whole week until the day of the event.

To conclude your Day of Silence, you should have a follow up discussion and to “Break your Silence”, talk on how you survived the day not talking. Talk on experience being in the LGBTQ community, meet others who support you and can teach you more about this community. You should plan on making an Gay Straight Alliance in your school to have a safe place to talk freely without judging.

Boardman High school’s Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) is taking part in this event. After school on April 12th, 2019 students are staying after school and taking a time of silence. They are stopping the divide in school and the LGBTQ community. There will also be food for all of the students who attend the event. This is an great event that all should attend.

Take part in the Day of Silence on April 12th, 2019 and stand up for students in the LGBTQ community who can not stand up for themselves. Stop the silence and then break it, talk on how these issues are affecting so many students.