The Boardman High School orchestra’s recent adventures

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maggie Parker, Staff Writer

The Boardman orchestra participated in a skill-testing competition at the Ohio state University on Feb, 22 2019. The trip allowed symphony and chamber orchestra members to have an opportunity to participate in OMEA (Ohio Music Education Association), which showcases the orchestras willingness to practice and go above and beyond the usual challenges they have to take on. During the competition, the students were given a piece of music they have never seen before and had four minutes to read it, memorize it, and play the piece to the best of their ability. The orchestras are then judged on their ability to cite read music.

BHS orchestra has always received excellent feedback from this event. This year, the symphony orchestra received a two, which broke their previous streak of consecutive superior ratings. With the chamber orchestra receiving a one, the best score that can be awarded to an orchestra. Junior orchestra member, Cecelia Schuler said in an interview, “The trip was very fun. I’ve done orchestra since fifth grade and I’ve enjoyed it since.”

Two well known senior members, Delia Walkowiec (First chair cellist), and Marina Furman (First chair Viola), were interviewed about their favorite moment from doing orchestra. Furman responded saying  “One of my fondest memories of the orchestra is the first set of  ‘Monaco Games’ that were played on our annual State trip during my sophomore year. While I’m not allowed to actually say much about the games, I can say that they are absolutely one of the highest points of each year. Complete chaos, in the best way possible.”

Delia Walkowiec also responded saying “ as a musician you get to expand your musical learning experience by playing professional orchestral pieces that typically high schoolers do not get to play. Also as a student you get to meet new people and form strong friendships and bonds.”  

Walkoweic was asked what her advice would be to future incoming orchestra members, Walkowiec responded by saying “My advice would be, never stop playing your instrument, stick with it even though it may be difficult. Being able to play an instrument is a gift and is something that cannot be taken away. Students at Boardman high school take our music program for granted instead of cherishing it. Other schools do not have amazing music programs with  talented, classically trained staff to teach growing musicians. There are so many opportunities for any type of musician. Our orchestra at Boardman high school is the best around!”

BHS Orchestra members are very passionate about what they do and they continue to do well, and never cease to impress us all. Great job chamber and symphony orchestra!