Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Liliana D'Andrea, Editor in Chief

Sleep in Heavenly Peace is a nonprofit organization that builds bunk beds for children and their families in need.

The organization started in 2012 in Kimberly, Indiana. It started with the founder, Luke Mickelson, when he decided to build a bed for a family in need. Now SHP currently has over 100 chapters across the United States and has built over 4,000 beds. It also has had over 14,000 volunteers at the builds.

Recently, on Dec. 15, SHP completed a 22 bunk bed build at the Austintown Local Schools Transportation Department. Some beds have been delivered and others are going to be delivered to those who need them throughout the year. SHP has a request page on their website where you can fill out and get evaluated for a build. As of now, there are over 200 requests to be looked at and the group is excited to see all of them filled.

Currently the organization is looking for volunteers and donations. You can volunteer at shpbeds.org, you must be 12 years old or older and if under the age of 18 you have to be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Volunteers are guided through each and every job, no experience is required. To donate you can visit the website listed above, the group is looking for new twin/twin XL sized bedding, sheets, pillows and blankets. Also any monetary, tool and  wood donations are welcome.

Mickelson has been nominated as a CNN Hero, has been featured on Mike Rowe’s “Returning the Favor” and the NBC Nightly News.

Jaden Karr, a Boardman High School alumni; and a volunteer and event manager for SHP stated, “Sleep in Heavenly Peace is excited to make a difference in the Youngstown community by building beds for those who need them. Sleep in Heavenly Peace is seeking volunteers and donations for builds. Anyone interested in volunteering or donating may contact me via text or call, 330-770-6828 or email [email protected] “

About the Writer
Liliana D'Andrea, Editor in Chief

Liliana D’Andrea is a 17 year old senior at Boardman High School. This is her third year writing for the Bugle, and she is editor in chief. She’s involved...

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

Bringing Shakespeare to Boardman

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

Floating back to the Banks Family

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

Getting Into the Holiday Spirit

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

Celebrating 30 Years of Christmas Miracles

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

Celebrating Christmas

• Entertainment

Choral Music Takes Audiences on a “Sleigh Ride” This December

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

The Princess Switch: A Christmas Movie Review

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

The Grinch (2018) Movie Review

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

“The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” Review

• Helping Families Sleep in Peace

Entertainment

Wicked the Musical Celebrates its 15th Anniversary

Helping Families Sleep in Peace