Floating back to the Banks Family

Back to Article
Back to Article

Floating back to the Banks Family

Morgan Spearman, Staff Writer

Fifty-five years later, and the women that taught us a song on how to keep medicine down is back, Mary Poppins herself is floating back to the Banks family. Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns came to theaters on Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2018. The original release date was Tuesday, Dec. 25, 2018, but got bumped up unexpectedly.

The movie was directed by Rob Marshall, and the music for the movie was composed by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. The movie is starring, Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins, Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of the musical, Hamilton as Jack, Ben Whishaw as Michael Banks, Emily Mortimer as Jane Banks, Pixie Davies as Anabel Banks, Nathanael Saleh as John Banks, Joel Dawson as Georgie Banks, Julie Walters as Ellen, Dick Van Dyke by Mr. Dawes Jr. and many more outstanding actors and actresses. A few actors and actresses from the 1964 Mary Poppins are in this remake which makes the movie that much more magical.

Mary Poppins all came from eight children books created by P.L.Travers an British writer and the illustrator Mary Shepard. These eight books were made from the year 1934 to 1988. The first book was, “Mary Poppins in the Kitchen” to the last story called “Mary Poppins and the House Next Door.”

This film Mary Poppins Returns is a sequel to Mary Poppins made in 1964, directed by Robert Stevenson.  This film was based in London at 17th Cherry Tree Lane, the story starts with a nanny with magical powers that comes and applies for (more like demands) the job of nanny of the Banks children. Jane, Michael and the twins John and Barbara have just lost their nanny so they were looking for a replacement, Mary Poppins came at the perfect time. Ms. Poppins is magical in all ways from sliding up banisters from pulling whole lamps out her magical purse. Now, Ms. Poppins is not all unicorns and butterflies, she is not one to be messed with her stern exterior and her strong belief in a well behaved children keeps everyone in line. The children fall for her right away, from the constant adventures Ms. Poppins are taking them to and to the constant attention the children have been longing for.

Mary Poppins Returns takes place in London at 17th Cherry Tree Lane 24 years later after the original film. It joins the grownup Banks children in the same house they were as children. The grieving widower, Michael is raising his three children, little John, Anabel and Georgie. With John’s sister paying the funds for their late mothers debt. The family is going through foreclosure and the family is losing hope fast, then the surprise of a lifetime occurs. When crisis calls Mary Poppins returns, and the adventures began. Mary Poppins begins taking the children on adventures like she did with the grown up Bank children. Mary Poppins begins to bring the hope back to the whole family, not only the children. She makes Michael Banks and Jane Banks feel as they did when they were children. Then, the unexpected occurred… but you have to go see the movie to find out!

This is a movie that the whole family will enjoy, with much humor and amazing songs. It is a little over 2 hours and rated PG (parental guidance). Over 100 Critics rated this movie an average rating of 7.5/10 by Rotten Tomatoes. Go watch the preview for the movie to learn more about it at, (click the link) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5028340/ . Go get your tickets and enjoy this remade classic, Mary Poppins Returns in theaters now!

About the Writer
Morgan Spearman, Staff Writer

Morgan Spearman is a 14-year old freshman at Boardman High School. She is from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and plans to attend Ohio University to work in...

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

Bringing Shakespeare to Boardman

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

Helping Families Sleep in Peace

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

Getting Into the Holiday Spirit

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

Celebrating 30 Years of Christmas Miracles

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

Celebrating Christmas

• Entertainment

Choral Music Takes Audiences on a “Sleigh Ride” This December

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

The Princess Switch: A Christmas Movie Review

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

The Grinch (2018) Movie Review

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

“The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” Review

• Floating back to the Banks Family

Entertainment

Wicked the Musical Celebrates its 15th Anniversary

Floating back to the Banks Family