Lady Spartans “Hooping” For A Win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Spartans “Hooping” For A Win

Jenna Hardie, Staff writer

Basketball is just getting started at Boardman High School. The girls are already having a victorious season thus far having a record of 8-2. The varsity team is lead by seniors; Cailyn Covan, Cate Green, Jersey Gorby, Ashley Saxton and Alicia Saxton. Recently, on Jan. 4th the Lady Spartans opened up the new year with a victory, they played at home against East and won, 65-28. Maria Torres led the way by scoring a game high of 20 points, including being the leading re-bounder with 8 boards. Also, on Dec. 23rd they fell to Struthers, with an end score of 75-64. The team was led by Maria Torres scoring 23 points, which included 5 three pointers. The team was also triumphant against South Range, East, Lakeside, and Massillon Washington but fell to Cardinal Mooney. The Lady Spartans just recently traveled to Orlando to compete in “The KSA Pink Division Championship” where they played three games in the tournament. On Dec. 28th. the girls defeated Cristo Rey Catholic High School with an ending score of 59-14. Next the Spartans were triumphant against Marion County High School with a close game ending 43-41. Lastly the Lady Spartans ended the tournament 3-0 against West Forsyth High School scoring 56-43.

All the senior players have been playing for the Lady Spartans their whole highschool career. When the seniors were asked about what they expect from this season, Ashley Saxton stated, “We’ve been working really hard and can’t wait to see how it all pays off this season”. She then went on to say, “We’re gonna prove them all wrong”. Jersey Gorby thanks her teammates and coaches stating, “Any success we have this year is because of our phenomenal coaching staff and amazing teammates on varsity, junior varsity and freshman teams”.

About the Writer
Jenna Hardie, Staff writer

Jenna is a senior and it is her first year writing for the Bugle. She joined for fun because her friends wrote for the paper. Jenna has three older brothers,...

Lady Spartans “Hooping” For A Win