Choral Music Takes Audiences on a “Sleigh Ride” This December

Elizabeth Amstutz, Staff writer

Boardman High School’s over 200 vocal students have been preparing for their winter concert, held on Wednesday, December 5 in the Boardman Preforming Arts Center. There are five groups of singers at our school, each with various students of different levels. Your first year in the program will be spent in Mixed Chorus, starting with learning the first steps of music theory. The Choir consists of sophomore through senior students, requiring no audition for admission. The Spartan Singers is an all male group, the only of the five that is not a scheduled class, as they practice after school. The show choir group, The Boardman Singers is an all female class that may be auditioned for after your freshman year. They are usually associated with their iconic sparkly maroon dresses. The Chorale is the elite vocal program that requires an audition for entry. Students in Chorale are both boys and girls, in tenth through twelfth grade.

The Choral Music program is lead by Mrs. Smrek, along with assistant teacher Mrs. Kotheimer. Tickling the ivories for the concerts is retired teacher Mrs. Taylor, with each teacher using the utmost of their abilities to ensure a beautiful concert. Preparation starts months in advance to guarantee an enjoyable set list for each group. Every year, Boardman High alumni is welcome to join the current classes in singing the classic song “O Holy Night,” marking the beginning of the concert. A few days after the concert, the show choirs will be headed to the Boardman elementary schools for the day, to perform their show once again.

The night is filled with holiday fun, with uptempo dance numbers as well as enchanting slow ballads. The audience is sure to be tapping their toes, and leaving with the cheerful tunes stuck in their heads. No matter what holiday you celebrate, you’ll be sent home having found the perfect way to get yourself in the seasonal mood.

About the Writer
Elizabeth Amstutz, Staff writer

Have you ever met this incredible girl? No? You lost so much! Elizabeth is fifteen-year-old girl and studies in 10th grade. She is very creative and an...