Honoring All Veterans

Back to Article
Back to Article

Honoring All Veterans

Jenna Hardie, Staff writer

Veterans day is an official United States holiday that falls on Nov. 11th. The holiday honors all of those who have served our country, living veterans or those who have passed. It was originally called Armistice day, celebrating the end of World War I. “The war to end all wars” officially ended on June 28, 1919 after the Treaty of Versailles was signed. The fighting part of the war ended about seven months before that when the Allies and Germany settled an armistice on the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day in the eleventh month. In 1938 it became an official national holiday, but it was only a day to honor veterans that served in World War I. World War II and the Korean War happened, so on June 1st, 1954 congress changed the day yet again to honoring all American veterans. Americans celebrate and recognize our veterans for their sacrifices and for their patriotism.  

Officer Poulos made a special appearance on Boardman Schools Television Network talking about his days serving in the military. He talked about the hardships but mostly how much he loved serving. Officer Poulos stated that “There is a lot of sacrifice but it’s worth it”. Poulos also talked about how it is important to have friends and create bonds with people because they are all you have in the military. Poulos also gave some advice regarding being in the military, “Most things end no matter how tough they are…and the second part is to rely on other people”. Boardman High School also hosted the veterans for lunch on Nov.11 2018. Students were able to greet the veterans and thank them for all that they do.

About the Writer
Jenna Hardie, Staff writer

Jenna is a senior and it is her first year writing for the Bugle. She joined for fun because her friends wrote for the paper. Jenna has three older brothers,...

• Honoring All Veterans

Entertainment

Celebrating 30 Years of Christmas Miracles

• Honoring All Veterans

News

Ukrainian Christmas

• Honoring All Veterans

News

Boardman Schools Television Network Wins Major Award

• Honoring All Veterans

News

Giving Back To The Ones That Protect Us

• Honoring All Veterans

News

Quiz Bowl

• Honoring All Veterans

News

Honoring All Veterans

• News

Boardman High School Blood Drive

• Honoring All Veterans

News

Speech and Debate Tournament

• Honoring All Veterans

News

Marching Band in Concert

• Honoring All Veterans

News

Yes Fest 2018

Honoring All Veterans