“The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nasya Stevenson, Staff Writer

Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms played in theaters Friday, Nov.2. The movie starred Keira Knightly as the Sugar Plum Fairy, Mackenzie Foy as Clara Stahlbaum, Misty Copeland as the Ballerina Princess, Helen Mirren as Mother Ginger, and Morgan Freeman as Drosselmeyer. The film was directed by Lasse Hallstrӧm and Joe Johnston, written by Ashleigh Powell and produced by Larry Franco and Mark Gordon. Music was arranged by James Newton Howard and cinematography by Linus Sandgren. It retells the story from E.T.A Hoffman’s short story, “The Nutcracker and the Mouse King” and Marius Pepta’s, The Nutcracker.

The film takes place in London, England and centers on a young girl, named Clara, who receives a locked egg-shaped box from her late mother as an early christmas gift. Later on Christmas Eve, Clara and her family attend a Christmas Eve Ball hosted by Clara’s godfather and engineer, Drosselmeyer. Clara finds herself led into a forest of a parallel world by a golden thread. At the end of this thread is a key. A mouse steals the key and Clara stumbles upon Nutcracker soldier, Captain Philip as she chases down the mouse. Clara then meets the rulers of the Land of Sweets, Land of Flowers and Land of Snowflakes: The Sugar Plum Fairy, Hawthorne, and Shiver. The three realms are at war with the fourth realm and Clara and Philip must get back the key from Mother Ginger, the ruler of Amusement and return to rebuild safe land.

The film received many critic reviews. The Washington Post reporter, Michael O’ Sullivan, says, “In the end, “Nutcracker” is a delightfully old-school diversion. The plot may not always hum with the clockwork precision of one of Drosselmeyer’s mechanical toys, but like a music box, it nevertheless plays a sweet tune.” Kenneth Turan of L.A. Times writes “The visual allure of this production is undeniable, but having the nerve to be simple and nice all the way through is, even for Disney, verging on being a lost art.”

The Nutcracker has been recognized by fans all over the U.S. for its beautiful and aesthetically pleasing visuals. It has become a great Christmas movie for viewers. Go get tickets and see it, now available in theaters.

About the Writer
Nasya Stevenson, Staff Writer

Nasya Stevenson is a senior at Boardman High School. This is her first year on the Bugle staff. She joined because of her passion for reading and writing....

• “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” Review

Entertainment

Celebrating 30 Years of Christmas Miracles

Entertainment

Celebrating Christmas

• Entertainment

Choral Music Takes Audiences on a “Sleigh Ride” This December

Entertainment

The Princess Switch: A Christmas Movie Review

Entertainment

The Grinch (2018) Movie Review

Entertainment

Wicked the Musical Celebrates its 15th Anniversary

Entertainment

Netflix Original Series “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” Season 1 Review

Entertainment

Swimming Towards the Drama Guild’s “The Little Mermaid”

Entertainment

Celebrating Halloween, Spartan Style

Entertainment

‘A Star Is Born’ Review