Speech and Debate Tournament

Chloe Treadway, Staff Writer

On Saturday, Nov 3 the Boardman High School Speech and Debate team had a tournament at Columbiana High School. Boardman competed against Columbiana, Niles, Austintown, Ursuline, Canfield, Warren JFK,  and Howland. The team captain for debate, Shawn Korpi, came in 2nd in his chamber and qualified for final chamber. The speech captains, Bryce Edison and Yelisa Cortez, led everyone to a successful first tournament of the season. Everyone in debate has worked together constructively criticizing and perfecting speeches. The speech kids have practiced hours on end to memorize their lines. All in all, this tournament of the 2018-2019 season was exceptional.

Speech and Debate is an after-school club where members participate in different competitive activities for practice. These long, challenging practices help develop oral communication skills, overcome fears, step out of comfort zones, and create excellent critical thinking skills. Speech has practice Tuesdays after school and they recite lines, act, and sing. Debate is on Thursdays and they argue, research, and perfect speeches. The grading scale for Speech is a scale 1-10, one being the best and ten being the worst. The scale for Debate is 1-6, six being the best and one the worst. To be on the team, one must put in the time and be a dedicated hard worker. Even if that means staying up later than usual to memorize lines or work on a speech.

All in all, the BHS Speech and Debate team is off to a phenomenal start for the 2018-2019 season. The coach, Mrs. Anzevino, says she is extremely proud of everyone’s work and dedication.

About the Writer
Chloe Treadway, Staff Writer

Chloe Treadway is a freshmen Boardman High School.  This is her first year involved with the Boardman Bugle.  She joined the Bugle because she thoroughly...

• Speech and Debate Tournament

News

Sweetheart Ball

• Speech and Debate Tournament

News

Boardman High School Speech and Debate Team Headed to Nationals

• Speech and Debate Tournament

Entertainment

Bringing Shakespeare to Boardman

• Speech and Debate Tournament

Entertainment

Helping Families Sleep in Peace

• Speech and Debate Tournament

Entertainment

Celebrating 30 Years of Christmas Miracles

• Speech and Debate Tournament

News

Ukrainian Christmas

• Speech and Debate Tournament

News

Boardman Schools Television Network Wins Major Award

• Speech and Debate Tournament

News

Honoring All Veterans

• Speech and Debate Tournament

News

Giving Back To The Ones That Protect Us

• Speech and Debate Tournament

News

Quiz Bowl

Speech and Debate Tournament