Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Morgan Spearman, Staff Writer

The Spanish Club hosted a meeting for Spanish Club members to celebrate Dia de los Muertos.  The members made paper flowers that are used to decorate the graves of the deceased. They also played the game never have I ever, and they also had a variety of snacks to munch on. All of the Spanish teachers come together to keep this club up and running. This is the fourth activity that all of the club members have come together.  The Spanish Club meets about once or twice a month. The past activities have included: an introduction meeting, a restaurant night, movie after school and the Dia de los Muertos meeting.

Freshmen, Roderica Patterson said that, “I enjoyed the Dia de los Muertos activities a lot, they had a photo booth that was a really fun experience and good snacks.”

Dia de los Muertos, also known as, “Day of the Dead,” is a holiday that takes place from Nov. 1 to Nov. 2, this holiday is celebrated from October. to November.  It has been celebrated for thousands of years. On November 1, they celebrate the children that have passed, but on Nov. 2, they celebrate the deceased adults. Most children do not participate in Halloween because it is not a Mexican holiday and they take part in Dia de los Muertos. This tradition is not like Halloween where it has costumes and candy, but it is celebrating the belief of deceased loved ones. The deceased relatives have an opportunity to reunite with their families. This is a very sentimental time for all that celebrate.  

Dia de los Muertos is not a Mexican holiday, it is not only celebrated in Mexico either. This holiday is celebrated all over. The people that celebrate this holiday wear mask, face paint and dress up in festive outfits to remember their dead ones. Sugar skulls is a an significant part of this tradition.  Calavera, also known as sugar skulls is a representation of the human skull, the skulls are often edible or decorated skulls, they are either sugar or clay. It also shows the departed souls, they usually have the names on the top of them telling who they are honoring.

They also have sugar skull makeup, this was used to ward off the deceased soul, this tradition was made by Jesus Rincon Perez an anthropologist and expert at the National Museum of Popular Culture of Mexico City.

They also have Pan de Muerto, also known as ‘bread of the dead,” is is a very common treat in Hispanic bakeries for the holiday season.This is also an indigenous tradition. The bread is round to symbolize the circle of life. This is a sweet roll that consist of flour, sugar, salt, anise seed,  and yeast. This process takes about 1 to 2 hours.

Dia de los Muertos has come to the movie screen as well. The movie “Coco” is a movie based on Dia de los Muertos. It is a Disney animated movie that was released in 2017.  This film is about, a 12 year old boy, named Miguel that is transported into the Land of the Dead to look for his deceased great-great grandfather who is a musician to return him back to his family that’s still  living. If you are interested in this movie and want to watch it, it is on Netflix. Go check it out!

About the Writer
Morgan Spearman, Staff Writer

Morgan Spearman is a 14-year old freshman at Boardman High School. She is from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and plans to attend Ohio University to work in...

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

News

Senior Shenanigans at Boardman High School

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Entertainment

BHS Spring Sing

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

News

Continuing the Party…

• News

BHS Students Compete at Annual YSU English Festival

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

News

BHS Show Choirs are in a New York State of Mind

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Student Life

Stopping the Divide of School and LGBTQ Community

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Student Life

2019 Prom Court

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Student Life

Sharing Faith and Friends

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Entertainment

Humanities Club Acoustic Show

• Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Student Life

Dance with Spanish Club

Celebrating Dia de los Muertos