Yes Fest 2018

Jenna Hardie and Nasya Stevenson

The annual Yes Fest was held for the sixth year at Boardman High School. It occured on Oct.19 and the event is all about saying yes to positive choices. This anti-drug assembly included four speakers that presented their organizations. The Yes Fest gives students the opportunity to get involved and volunteer.

The first presenter was Roxanne Sebest and she works for the organization United Way. Sebest is the Director of Marketing and Communications and she joined the association in 2014. United Way works with partners to educate and empower our families in the Mahoning Valley. Their goal is to spread positivity throughout our community. Visit https://www.ymvunitedway.org/ for more information.

The following presenter was Jane MacMurchy and she represented Animal Charity Humane Society. The Humane Society is the only one operating in Mahoning County. Also, they have an affordable veterinary clinic and have been running for 51 years. They rescue neglected and abused animals and take care of the them. People can adopt these abandoned animals, please visit http://www.animalcharityofohio.org/ to learn more information.

Becky Miller spoke on behalf of  the Second Harvest Food Bank. She is the Manager of Resource Development. The Food Bank distributes food to hunger-relief organizations in Columbiana, Mahoning, and Trumbull counties, they also provide education and advocacy. Anyone who is in need of food can go there and people can donate to the Food Bank. Visit https://www.ymvunitedway.org/ for more information.

The last speaker, Crystal Eckman represented the Rescue Mission, and she is the ambassador. It is the only homeless shelter in Mahoning county. Eckman stated that the mission “ focuses on three areas: providing meals for the hungry, provide emergency shelter for those who need it, and discipleship of and growth in Christ”. The Rescue Mission has been serving the valley since 1893. For more information on the shelter visit https://www.rescuemissionmv.org/.

Several organizations were present at this year’s Yes Fest including Akron’s Children’s Hospital/ Doggie Brigade, Al-Anon/ Alateen, Alta Behavioral Health, American Cancer Society, Angels for Animals, Animal Charities, Driver’s Exam Station of Canfield, Belmont Pines, Boardman Fire Department, Boardman Park, Boardman Police Department, Butler Museum of Art, Coalition for a Drug Free Mahoning County, Comprehensive Psychiatry Group, Compass Counseling, Day Break Youth Crisis Center, 4H of Mahoning County, Friends of the Public Library of Youngstown, Good Will- Radio Reading, Green Team, Help Hotline, Hospice of the Valley, Junior Achievement, Mahoning County DD Special Olympics, Mahoning County Board of Health, Mahoning Safe Communities, Making Kids Count, Meridian Community Care, MillCreek Metro Parks, Neil Kennedy, Ohio State Highway Patrol, On Demand, Public Library Of Youngstown and Mahoning, Rape Crisis and Counseling Center, Red Cross, Rescue Mission, Rotary Club International, Salvation Army, Second Harvest, Shepherd of the Valley, United Way, YMCA Davis Branch and Youngstown State University. School Clubs were there as well. Students were able to sign up for positive institutions and school clubs that interested them. Students can also determine what future they wish to have.

• Yes Fest 2018

News

Giving Back To The Ones That Protect Us

• Yes Fest 2018

News

Quiz Bowl

• Yes Fest 2018

News

Honoring All Veterans

• News

Boardman High School Blood Drive

• Yes Fest 2018

News

Speech and Debate Tournament

• Yes Fest 2018

News

Marching Band in Concert

• Yes Fest 2018

News

BSTN Students Visit Browns Stadium

• News

Ranking of Ohio School Districts’ Test Scores

• Yes Fest 2018

News

Saying ‘Ciao’ to the 2018 Italian Club

• Yes Fest 2018

News

The Mission Night Market

Yes Fest 2018