Fighting for Christine Terlesky

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fighting for Christine Terlesky

Liliana D'Andrea, Editor in Chief

On Friday, Sept. 16 starting at 1:30 p.m. the Lake Club held the 3rd annual Christine Terlesky Girls Golf Invitational which included 14 high school girls golf teams.

Terlesky was not only a teacher but she also coached golf, basketball and track. She was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis(ALS) five years ago and her family has been fighting ever since. When she was first diagnosed, they started a fundraiser “Chip in for Chris” to help raise funds for medical bills and in-home care expenses. Denise Gorski, the athletic director at Boardman high school, came up with the idea of an invitational to help Terlesky, who was she was an enormous influence in women sports at BHS.

Brian Terlesky, her husband and also a teacher/coach at BHS, stated “We have been fortunate for the support of the people in the Mahoning Valley that have given to our family over the last five years in helping pay for medical bills ,medical equipment, And just the love and support when dealing with a tragic time in our life.”

ALS is a very rare disease, only about 30,000 people a year are diagnosed with the disease. The family and community want to bring awareness to the disease because ALS is on the rise in the United States.

At the invitational the 14 teams were Boardman, Canfield, Austintown Fitch, Canton Glenoak, Massillon Jackson, Poland, Howland, Columbiana, Champion, Cardinal Mooney, Ursuline, Beaver Local, Lakeview and struthers.