March Madness Update

Evan Knaus, Staff Reporter

After a week of games, the March madness tournament is down to 16 teams who will play on Thursday to decide the elite eight.

Upsets are a bigger part of this year’s tournament then they have ever been with two of the number 1 seeds already being knocked out. One of those teams is Virginia who was knocked out by 16 seed UMBC. This is the first time in tournament history that a 16 seed has beaten a 1 seed in the opening round. The retrievers run was short lived after losing in the second round to Kansas State University.

The cinderella story of this year is Loyola University Chicago. The wolves shocked Miami in the first round with a last second buzzer beater to win 64-62. In the second round, Loyola-chicago met the University of Tennessee. Loyola stunned the Vols with another buzzer beater to win the game 63-62. The wolves will play the University of Nevada in the sweet sixteen on Thursday at 7:07 pm. Nevada upset the University of Cincinnati in second round to move on.

After the opening two rounds of the big dance, the favorite to win it all is Villanova University. After winning it all in 2016, Villanova has another strong team this year and is expected to make a run to the championship. The wildcats will play West Virginia on Friday and with a win will most likely meet Purdue University in the elite eight.