March Madness Preview

Evan Knaus, Sports Editor

The first round of the 2018 March Madness tournament is set to begin on Thursday when Oklahoma university meets The University Rhode Island at 12:15 pm.

It all began on Sunday during the selection show when CBS sports announced the 64 teams that will show off for the 2018 March Madness championship. After being selected, teams were put into four regions, East, West, Midwest and South. Teams were then seeded 1-16 in their respective region and the game schedule was set.

The favorite to win this year’s tournament is the University of Virginia after finishing the regular season strong with a 31-2 record. UV will face off against 16 seed University of Maryland, Baltimore county. This is UMBC’s first trip to the dance in school history and they are good. Although they play the number one school in the country, don’t count them out yet.

One team to look out for that could sweep under everyone’s radar is 10 seed Butler. Butler has a huge reputation for going far in the tournament. Although they have never won it, they have made it very far and knocked out some big teams. Gordan Hayward led Butler to their first championship in 2011 before getting beat by Duke for the title. Butler then made it to the championship in 2011 as well, only to be beat by Connecticut.

There are a lot of teams to look for to make a surprising run in this years tournament. Many upsets will come and good teams will lose early. This could be the craziest tournament we have seen in a long time and it couldn’t be more exciting

About the Writer
Evan Knaus, Sports Editor

Evan Knaus is 17 and is a senior at BHS. This is his second year working for the Bugle. He is part of the Boardman High baseball team and is extremely passionate about sports. He is born and raised in Boardman and attended Boardman Glenwood Middle School.

Evan has two older siblings, Nathan and Leah and has one younger brother, Ian. He comes from a household of animals with 5 dogs, 2 cats, and a bunny. 

He enjoys math and hopes to study marketing in college. He is very talented at sports and hopes to continue playing in college. You can contact him at [email protected]

March Madness Preview