Ben Burkey qualifies for State

Evan Knaus, Sports Editor

After competing in districts on Sunday, senior Ben Burkey qualified for the OHSAA Division 1 State bowling tournament on March 9 in Columbus.

In the 3 games he bowled at the district tournament, Burkey bowled a 234, 184 and 192 which earned him 4th place. The top 5 individuals and top 5 teams qualified for state. Not only qualifying for state, Burkey was also awarded 1st Team Red Tier AAC honors this year along with teammates Chase Felger, Nathan Needham and Gloria Hynes.
“It’s a fun and exciting opportunity to support my family, friends, school and community,” Burkey said. “I’m very grateful for this experience.”

Burkey will be representing Boardman in the state tournament for the third time and looks to bring home his first championship. He would like to add that he is very grateful for all the support he has received from his friends, family and teammates.

About the Writer
Evan Knaus, Sports Editor

Evan Knaus is 17 and is a senior at BHS. This is his second year working for the Bugle. He is part of the Boardman High baseball team and is extremely passionate about sports. He is born and raised in Boardman and attended Boardman Glenwood Middle School.

Evan has two older siblings, Nathan and Leah and has one younger brother, Ian. He comes from a household of animals with 5 dogs, 2 cats, and a bunny. 

He enjoys math and hopes to study marketing in college. He is very talented at sports and hopes to continue playing in college. You can contact him at [email protected]

Ben Burkey qualifies for State