While talent is obvious; “The Wedding Singer” falls flat

Matthew Ellis, Entertainment Coordinator

In the first show since former director Nick Opritza’s retirement, The Wedding Singer was filled with talented individuals, however due to an adjusted script and score, that talent fell at the mercy of the show itself.

The Wedding Singer follows Robbie Hart, played by sophomore Joe Strock, a wedding singer who is left at the alter. Distraught from his break up, he tries to alter his personality in order to woo Julia, played by Mia Lewis. In changing so drastically, Robbie loses sight of himself and needs to realize that his personality, and not his material possessions is what will ultimately find him true love.

The strengths of this show lie in the smaller details, with outstanding performances from the likes of Tim Fowler and David Kimpton, the comedy the show is going for became evident. Another great performance came from Angelina Panno, whom though she had a smaller part, her

comedic timing and slight accents made the character very believable and fun.

While some larger parts felt lacking, others when given artistic license were what people have come to expect from the Drama Guild. The two performers who stand out the most are Chloe Housteau as Grandma, and Chase Picino as George. Chemistry between these characters was brilliant, and their song; “Move That Thang”, was by far the best acted, and best sung song in the entire show. Other parts which had moments of brilliance were Krista Ritz as Linda, Sydney Boggs as Holly, and Peter Fernandez as Glen.  Fernandez brought a genuine energy to his whole performance, with songs like “All About the Green”. Ritz was very believable and in her small stage time made the most of it. Boggs who had arguably the most difficult songs performed them with ease.

The two lead roles of Robbie and Julia were respectively played by Joe Strock and Mia Lewis. The high of Robbie’s performance came with the comedic masterpiece in “Casualty of Love”, while Julias came in “Someday”, as her innocence was conveyed perfectly. The problem came through in the lack of chemistry between Robbie and Julia. The kiss in “Not That Kind of Thing” lacked the emotional significance that the plot required.

The show felt lacking in the wow factor both musically and comedically . It was obvious some of the score had been changed to address its difficulty; the script was censored at times to make it appropriate for a high school production. While this show fell a bit short of such productions like “Phantom of the Opera” and “West Side Story”, the talent of the performers should give the Drama Guild great optimism for the future.