Center Intermediate partners with local agencies to fight child hunger

Jaden Karr, Copy Editor

Many students in Boardman and across the country may not know where their next meal is coming from. There are some students that may only eat lunches and breakfast from the school cafeteria. That’s why Boardman Center Intermediate School, along with help from the Second Harvest Food Bank and the Boardman Lions Club started a food pantry in attempts to leave the hunger at home.

BCIS Guidance Counselor Mindy DePietro coordinates the food pantry. The pantry has been in existence since December 2016 and helps students and families at BCIS. Boardman Glenwood Junior High School also has plans to start a food pantry this year, and according to DePietro, other schools are looking into a food pantry as well.

“The food pantry originated from a student.  At the beginning of the year, a 5th grade student asked if we had the backpack program at Center.  We did not.  She shared with me the need that her friends had for food.  She didn’t want the backpack program because it wasn’t cool to carry an extra backpack home from school.  She thought it would be best if they could get food each day and put it in their school book bag,” DePietro said.

There were meetings with the Second Harvest Food Bank and the BCIS administration, and they were told to start a food pantry, they need to partner with a non profit organization. The school chose to partner with the Boardman Lions Club.

“We chose the Boardman Lions Club because of all the things they have supported for us in the past. Once the Boardman Lions club was willing to partner with us, the pantry was created,” DePietro said.

Students who are in need of assistance from the food pantry are able to visit the pantry every day before the closing of the school day. All students at BCIS participated in an assembly in November 2016 where they were shown where to go if they need to utilize the resource available to them.

Anyone who wishes to donate may do so. There is a container at the school’s main entrance for that purpose, but the pantry will also accept monetary donations and gift cards to local grocery stores. The link at the bottom of the story outlines the pantry’s needs.

BCIS Food Bank Needs