Center Intermediate partners with local agencies to fight child hunger

Jaden Karr, Copy Editor

Many students in Boardman and across the country may not know where their next meal is coming from. There are some students that may only eat lunches and breakfast from the school cafeteria. That’s why Boardman Center Intermediate School, along with help from the Second Harvest Food Bank and the Boardman Lions Club started a food pantry in attempts to leave the hunger at home.

BCIS Guidance Counselor Mindy DePietro coordinates the food pantry. The pantry has been in existence since December 2016 and helps students and families at BCIS. Boardman Glenwood Junior High School also has plans to start a food pantry this year, and according to DePietro, other schools are looking into a food pantry as well.

“The food pantry originated from a student.  At the beginning of the year, a 5th grade student asked if we had the backpack program at Center.  We did not.  She shared with me the need that her friends had for food.  She didn’t want the backpack program because it wasn’t cool to carry an extra backpack home from school.  She thought it would be best if they could get food each day and put it in their school book bag,” DePietro said.

There were meetings with the Second Harvest Food Bank and the BCIS administration, and they were told to start a food pantry, they need to partner with a non profit organization. The school chose to partner with the Boardman Lions Club.

“We chose the Boardman Lions Club because of all the things they have supported for us in the past. Once the Boardman Lions club was willing to partner with us, the pantry was created,” DePietro said.

Students who are in need of assistance from the food pantry are able to visit the pantry every day before the closing of the school day. All students at BCIS participated in an assembly in November 2016 where they were shown where to go if they need to utilize the resource available to them.

Anyone who wishes to donate may do so. There is a container at the school’s main entrance for that purpose, but the pantry will also accept monetary donations and gift cards to local grocery stores. The link at the bottom of the story outlines the pantry’s needs.

BCIS Food Bank Needs

About the Writer
Jaden Karr, Copy Editor

Jaden Karr is a 17 year old Senior at Boardman High School and is entering his third year on the Bugle staff. In school, Karr is involved in Choir, Emerging Leaders, Key Club, Big Spartan/ Little Spartan, Link Crew and is a Senior Class Officer. Outside of school, Karr works as a Sales Associate at Sears and a Barista at Gloria Jean’s Coffees, both in the Southern Park Mall. Karr also is a volunteer at Angels for Animals and has been a volunteer both on and off the stage at The Youngstown Playhouse. He also cantors at St. Christine Church. Karr enjoys singing, playing the piano, writing and spending time with his siblings and two cats, Dial and Daphne. You may contact him at [email protected] !

• News

Ranking of Ohio School Districts’ Test Scores

• Center Intermediate partners with local agencies to fight child hunger

News

Saying ‘Ciao’ to the 2018 Italian Club

News

The Mission Night Market

• News

Homecoming Court 2018/2019

News

Fighting for Christine Terlesky

News

United Is Our Future

News

Cheering for the BHS Cheerleaders

News

Ranking Of Ohio School Districts’ Test Scores

News

College Night

• News

Celebrating Spirit Week