Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Miranda Canacci and Emily Maroni

Mother’s Day is less than a week away, and finding the perfect gift for your mother can be a challenge. Even more difficult is finding presents that fit your budget. If you do not want to spend a lot of money, you can easily give her a homemade substitute. We have a list of creative and thoughtful DIYs that your mother or grandmother will appreciate.

Painted Tin Cans

This is an inexpensive gift that you can make out of things you may already have. Take a used tin can and remove the label. Make sure that is completely clean and dry before you start painting. Then, take your paint color of choice and completely cover the outside of the can. Allow it to air dry for a few hours. You can decorate with ribbon, washi tape, paper, or any other materials you may have.

Marbled Mugs

Marble nails were a huge trend created with water, nail polish and a toothpick. Now you can make marbled mugs using the same technique. Fill a container with hot water, add the nail polish, swirl it around with a toothpick and dip in a plain white mug. This make the mug more fun and colorful making this the perfect give for coffee loving moms!

Wooden Coasters

This project may require a bit of shopping, but it is still a simple and quick DIY. You will need thin strips of balsa wood, craft sticks, a hot glue gun, and any decorations you may want to add. All of these can be found at your local craft store. Start with three strips of balsa wood as the base. Then, use the hot glue to add the craft sticks to the balsa wood strips horizontally. After the glue dries, add any decorations you may want. Washi tape will work best.

Floral Monogram

This is a unique and personalized gift to give your mother or grandmother. For this gift, you will need a papier-mâché letter, fake flowers, and hot glue. Attach the flowers to the letter and wait for it to dry. A combination of large and small flowers will look best.

Beaded Vases and Candle Holders

Give plain vases and candles a complete makeover using some transparent paint. Dot the paint onto your vase or candle holders to give the illusion of beads. Spray paint using the color of your choice or leave it clear. Add flowers (faux or paper flowers are inexpensive alternatives) or candles and you have a beautiful gift. .
These DIYs will help you make the perfect gift your your mom or grandma without going outside your budget.

About the Writers
Miranda Canacci, Staff Reporter

Miranda Canacci is a seventeen year old junior at Boardman High School. She decided to join the Bugle because she enjoys writing and reading. Canacci is a member of French Club, Photo Arts Club and English Festival. Canacci is also a part of Link Crew and she works in the Guidance Office. Outside of school, she focuses on photography and community theater, which she has been a part of since she was ten. This past summer, she worked as a summer camp counselor at the Jewish Community Center in Liberty, Ohio. She is looking forward to writing and reporting for the Bugle staff.

Emily Maroni, Staff Reporter

Emily Maroni is a sophomore at Boardman High School. She is very excited for her first year on the Bugle staff because she enjoys writing. She has participated in the Youngstown State University English Festival and has placed in ‘The Candace Gay Essay Contest,’ ‘The Impromptu Writing Contest’ and ‘Renga Riot,’ a poetry writing contest. However, she prefers writing fictional short stories and hopes one day to be an author. Maroni is also involved in the Boardman Drama Guild, Boardman Singers and performs in shows at the Youngstown Playhouse. She has lived in Boardman her whole life with her parents, Joe and Stephenie and her two brothers, Justin and Matthew. She also has two dogs named Peanut and Thunder. Her interests include reading, writing, singing, acting and listening to music. Maroni plans on writing for the Bugle for the rest of her high school years.

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan Saavy: How to defeat summer boredom

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan Savvy: Spring staycation

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan Savvy: How to save and eat your greens

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan Savvy: How to keep your New Year’s resolutions

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan Savvy: Surviving Black Friday

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan savvy: Early bird sales before turkey day

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan Savvy: Bring home the bacon for less

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan Savvy: DIY Halloween Costumes

• Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs

Spartan Savvy

Spartan Savvy: Date ideas on a budget

• News

Ranking of Ohio School Districts’ Test Scores

Spartan Savvy: Mother’s Day DIYs