Gals for Galentine’s

Maria Serra, Staff Reporter

NBC’s hit comedy, Parks and Recreation, starring Amy Poehler, created its own holiday that has been celebrated by fans ever since the show aired: Galentine’s Day. This special day occurs one day ahead of Feb. 14 or for all of you romantics out there… Valentine’s Day. Instead of celebrating love, marital bliss, Fun Dips and Godiva with your sweetheart, girl friends from all over cherish friendship, sisterhood, and waffles (You read that right!) together.

Main character Leslie Knope describes, “Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies.”

It is easy to get swept up with busy schedules and significant others in the course of a year, this day allows time for those women in your life who have shamelessly jammed to 90’s pop ballads with you, who have marathoned each and every (perhaps painful) Adam Sandler movie with you, and who have ultimately molded you into the lady that looks back at you in the mirror. This day is for them. Cupid can have the other 364-365 days.

So, you might be asking yourself, “How exactly do I celebrate such an empowering, yet seemingly delicious holiday?”

Well, first thing’s first (*insert chorus of girl friends singing “I’m the realest”.*) , you must gather up all of your best friends and eat your heart out, you guys deserve it. This may include, but is not limited to… waffles, pancakes, bacon, bacon, bacon, straight up hot fudge, (virgin) mimosas, etc. Of course, this grants you the perfect opportunity to laugh, reminisce, and perhaps make future plans. Later, it is customary to have a spa day or even go watch the latest chick flick (IN 3D)! Remember to eat dessert as much as you would like to throughout the course of the day. Don’t forget to take several pictures and thank your lady friends with a small card or gift. This includes candles, lipsticks, baby cactuses, etc. (Feel free to buy them yachts though if your finances allow that.)

Galentine’s Day is perfect for all the girls of the world! If you need a little more advice for how to conduct your day, consider the words of “Parks and Rec” characters, Donna Meagle and Tom Haverford, “Treat yo’ self.”